Tuesday 29 December 2009

The September Issue

I love the lazy days between Christmas and New Year, it allows for reflection of the year just gone, and changes that are going to be made for the year ahead. As well as lots of TV viewing. After receiving the DVD The September Issue for Christmas from a fabulous friend of mine, I alongside another fabulous friend of mine, sat down to watch what can only be described as ‘the real devil wears Prada’. Basically the films synopsis is the making of Vogue, and fashion being a religion, therefore the DVD is your bible!

The film takes you behind the trademark bob and huge sunglasses. It is a revealing look into the inner workings and glamour of the fashion industry, as they prepare the biggest ever issue of the magazine.

It's really no surprise to me seeing how much work was put into this particular issue. Neither was it a shock to see Anna Wintour's "human side" because in my opinion, people are people, no matter how stoic or "icy" they are. She actually seems quite nice, although if asked to ever speak to her, I think I would faint!

The big revelation I had from watching The September Issue is the amazing talent that is Grace Coddington. I had no knowledge of her whatsoever until I saw the film. Bare-faced with unruly hair and wearing the most functional workwear, she is not what I expected a Vogue creative director to look like at all, however in my opinion Vogue, would not be Vogue without her.

Here are some of the editorials featured in the documentary; texture, colorblock, 20's and Sienna. (see below)

I am so annoyed that I never brought Vogue’s September issue, time to go look for it on eBay.

No comments:

Post a Comment